Influential Images

Kevin Carter was a member of the Bang-Bang0 Club, who shot photos in South Africa during the famine years. Carter was tiredly walking towards an open bush when he heard whimpering and saw a toddler collapsed on the ground. When Carter took the photo, a vulture landed and waited to see if the bird would open its wings. It didn’t so Carter scared it away and watched the child walk towards a feeding center. I chose this image because these things really give me a reality check and lets me know not everyone is living a good life like me and i should be grateful.
The document discusses how Official White House photographers capture presidents at play, at work, and in important meetings. Occasionally, they also capture watershed moments that become a part of our collective memory. One such moment was on May 1, 2011, when Pete Souza captured a photo of President Barack Obama and other officials in the Situation Room watching the real-time execution of the U.S. forces’ raid on Osama bin Laden’s Pakistan compound. This photo is the only public image of that momentous occasion, as no photographs of bin Laden’s dead body were released. The reason I picked this picture was because it is important to our history in America and it is the only photo during this situation.
American Ron Haviv was given access by the Tigers, a militia who warned him not to take any photos of the killings. Haviv didn’t take that into mind and still planned to document the cruelty he was witnessing and when the militia had killed a Muslim woman, he decided to risk it. His image was published on TIME and brought attention to the conflict in Bosnia. I chose this image because it caught my attention because it looks so brutal and so unhumane.

0 comments on “Influential ImagesAdd yours →